Monday 27 November 2017

Some behind the scene pics from Sky Arts Landscape Artist of the Year 2017, Heat 6

My Heat was at The Worms Head, Rhossili Bay, Wales. The view was stunning, but the weather made it challenging as it seriously rained all day. That's Wales for you!


This is my submission painting, 'Radiation Fog' (the upper part) painted from a view at Stephens House & Gardens, Finchley, when there was a blanket of fog over London on 17 January. The mysterious fog inspired the unusual colours.

Here I am having a discussion about my approach with judge Kate Bryan.
She wanted to know if I was going to use the same colours as my submission painting.
I explained that the day was so grey that I didn't feel the same vibe.

This is what was in my head before I started (added later in photoshop)


Two loyal members of my support team, standing by to cheer me on! 
Perla (my very wet dog) came into my pod for a visit later.

Drying my glasses during one of the interviews with the film crew.

Hard at work, feeling the pressure, painting turned upside down now...


The awesome and very friendly artist Andy Sargent :)

Time's running out...

My battle scars and loving it - What a privilege to take part!
(Still haven't finished the painting.....maybe one day....)


'Rhossili Bay' (2018) - I didn't finish what I painted on the day, 
but I did paint this from my memory months later, in the comfort of 
my own studio. I couldn't get the image out of my head!


No comments:

Post a Comment